Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Names!

I know this may seem like a I am making a big deal out of something so small but it bothers and has bothered me since before my son was born. My oldest sons name is Steven, not Steve, Steveo or any other form of Steven that you can think of. I wish people would call him Steven! It start before he was born with my sister saying that "oh, you will be calling him Steve before he is one.". NOT happening and will not happen! There is someone I know who insists on calling him Steve and no matter how many times I tell him his name is Steven not Steve he refuses to stop calling him Steve. I have turned the other cheek so many times around this person that they are starting to get bruises on them. I just want to tell him how rude he is by calling him that, but I get so frustrated with this person as well as other people get frustrated by him as well for other things he has said or done to their kids as well. So how would you deal with this person?? It's not like we can avoid him since they have contact with him every day.

3 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I asked myself if I ever called Steven Steve. After saying Steve to myself a few times, I knew it not me. It just doesn't feel right to say Steve.

    This is an interesting comment as sometimes people want to call Susan Sue. I'm sure they do it as a way of showing friendship or being a close friend but Susan has never been Sue and never will be. Calling her Sue always has the opposite effect. It signals that this person doesn't know her at all.

    By the way, it is good to know that it is Steven and not Stephen. I will keep that in mind in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Stephen has both a 'Steve' problem and a 'v' problem. Evvvvery now and then I'll call him Steve, and it just feels funny so I go back to calling him [insert hilarious childhood nickname that I cannot reveal here]. :)
    I think I've been guilty of calling Steven 'Steve'-sorry 'bout that! I get people who assume 'Annie' is a nickname for 'Anne'...I've had to explain to a couple people over the years that 'Annie' is on the birth certificate. Oh well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I am weirdo because I prefer Meg over Megan. It's hard to get people on board with it though. I feel like I am in trouble when people say my full name. Although since my last name became Loop it is harder. Meg Loop sounds like GLOOP when you say it fast.

    ReplyDelete