Thursday, August 19, 2010

Myths

There are some myths that go around about people with DII. One is that you can't eat anything with sugar in it----NOT SO! People with DII can eat anything that other people do but in moderation. I need can eat cake, cookies, chips, pumpkin bread and any other crazy thing I want, but I choose not to over indulge. DII people need to eat more fruits, vegetables and proteins than other people. We need to really watch our Carb intake that is what makes you have a spike in your sugar levels and is the main thing that produces to much insulin in your body.

Like the Health Care Providers are telling people you need to get back to the basics of life and eating a more well balanced diet is the truth. I can remember back when I was growing up we grew our own vegetables and canned them to last through out the winter months and they usually did. We would have frozen beans, corn, canned carrots, my mother even one year made her own ketchup which was spicy but it was good. Canning these days is almost a lost art. We didn't have cookies and cakes and chips every day available to us we had fresh fruits, vegetables the other stuff was for special occasions only. I had forgotten how much I love vegetables and fruit until I was diagnosed with DII and now am getting back to loving to eat these things. I wish I lived in a house with a large yard to be able to put in a garden.

So if you see me eating a cookie (although I mostly choose not to these days) don't sweat it it's OK to have it in MODERATION as with all things. I do need to start drinking more water though and am working on it but with lots of years with out forcing myself to drink it I have to retrain my body and mind.

The average persons blood sugar reading in the morning should be between 70 and 100. Mine was 110 which having DII is pretty darn good. Also, after you eat your sugar levels (if you eat properly) should only raise 20-30 points. Most days I do good but there are stress days that it doesn't. We will touch on that another time.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a little run in with a cookie natzi. I found out today that I am officially pre-diabetic. I guess my days of grazing need to come to an end. Now for a healthier lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I just learned quite a bit. Thanks for the lesson.
    I am with you in the moderation and the water. Boy it is hard to force it down me sometimes. But WE CAN DO IT!
    You go girl!

    ReplyDelete